What’s your Staff Christmas Plan?
Well, if you’re here in Alberta, or if you’re affected by the oil industry, you’ll be thinking hard about what to do about your staff Christmas this year.
I know that most organizations are shying away from the glitzy year-end blow out they’ve been able to have for many years, but is cancelling it a good idea? What kind of message are you sending if you do? More doom and gloom?
Maybe it’s time to focus on your people You can still celebrate, but now is the time to give your staff what they are looking for – recognition! Many studies have shown that the best reward is recognition for a job well done, not money, so now is a great time to put this in practice.
- Take the time to talk one-on-one with your staff and let them know how they’re doing
- Recognize good work with specific, detailed feedback – they’ll know what they did and are more likely to repeat it
- Talk to your staff about strategy – they are probably very worried about how things are going and what they should be doing, so instead provide them with the information they need to get aligned to your current strategy
- Ask them what they would do in your shoes. You’d be surprised at just how much your staff can contribute, if given the chance.
- Have fun – give them a break from the doom and gloom – have a trivia content, show a funny film at lunch (The Office perhaps?), launch a cookie baking contest – do something to help them release the tension
- Not too busy? Give people a little time off – longer lunches, leaving a little early, maybe even a day off. Time off is a great perk at this time of year when your staff is scrambling to get ready for Christmas holidays.
- Throw a party! It doesn’t have to cost money – just do a pot luck and provide them the time to have fun and socialize – especially with you
This may not be the year for financial rewards or splashy parties, but it is also definitely not the time to ignore your people. Make the effort and show them that you care. End 2015 on a high note, and set yourself up for a bright new year!